Saturday, February 22, 2014

china bound!

September 9, 2012 I turned 19. Big day---but not really. Just another birthday, right?
Then, October 6, 2012 I woke up and got ready to listen to the words of the prophet at General Conference.
As we eagerly listened to the words of the prophet, he made an announcement that absolutely floored me. "Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21." All the sudden, I had a huge choice in front of me--and one that for YEARS, I had simply told myself I'd decide when I was 21 (and I was hoping I'd be swept off my feet before that ever had to be contemplated...).
Quite opposite from the responses of my roommates and other peers in my classes at BYU, I was determined that I would not serve a mission. I felt that every girl and her mom were going on missions all of the sudden--and I thought the idea of staying at BYU was much better. I think it disappointed my family, but they were very supportive of my decision and didn't bother trying to pressure me into anything. Good thing, because I was sure that I would not be serving a mission. No one would be able to change that.
I went on my way, but serving a mission just seemed to be brought up EVERYWHERE I went--at family get togethers, in classes, at church--everywhere it seemed. But I was determined that a mission was not for me.
I decided that instead I would give of myself in service in China. I would teach english in China (random, I know). So, I paid the money, got the Visa--everything. It all fell into place miraculously. Multiple times the workers who helped me get everything organized mentioned how things never happened that fast--but I was glad to have a plan for the coming semester. Much better than a mission...but still a chance for me to give of myself.
My brother and I flew home to Japan for Christmas break, where we did lots of traveling to surrounding countries. Sitting for sometimes hours at a time on buses, I pondered on a lot of things. Over and over I would think, "I wonder what it would be like to serve here.... or there..." I didn't think much of it--after all, I was headed to China in a couple of months!
After traveling for a week or so, we came home, my brother flew back to school, and I stayed at home with the rest of the family until I was going to go to China. About 3 days after my brother left, I was talking to my mom about how I kept thinking how cool it would be to serve in the different places we had been visiting. I even thought a lot about how it would be really fun to go to Germany--learn to speak German fluently. My sweet mother made a comment I will forever remember--she said, "Well, maybe you're supposed to go on a mission. Have you prayed about it?"
Well, believe it or not, I hadn't. I'd avoided it for about three months-- but all the sudden I thought that would be a really great idea. That night before bed I prayed. I asked. I went to my Father, who knows me better than anyone else. And there, I received an overwhelming feeling that I should go!
I can't even describe the happiness that I felt! I was so excited! Within 2 weeks my papers were in, I declined my service to teach in China, and within 2 months I was in the MTC.

I know that the Lord helped that to happen!!  It is just too real to deny. Getting set up to go to China was unrealistically easy--and had I not made that decision, I don't think I would be on my mission.  I would have been back in Provo before I would have heard the powerful words of my mother, "Have you prayed?" I am so grateful for the small miracles that lead to great miracles!

I know that my decision to serve was a miracle--the hand of the Lord was evident all along the way. I am thankful for the ways that He opens my eyes to see the miracles around me. And it's no surprise that I've learned that Arizona is SO much better than China!

"Know ye not that ye are in the hands of the Lord?"(Mormon 5:23)


No comments:

Post a Comment