Thursday, February 20, 2014

the greatest miracle

I think a lot of the time, we fail to see the miracles that surround us. In my first few months on my mission, we met with one of the mission leaders (a stake president) and he always asked us missionaries, "How have you seen the hand of the Lord in the work?" After some contemplation, we would respond with some of the simplest of situations--but these small and simple situations brought about great things. 

There are countless times that the Lord reveals Himself in this work--His work.  I want to share with you some of the simple and yet profound miracles that have already and still do surround me in doing the Lord's work.  As I've been brainstorming ideas of experiences I can share with you, I have had one particular miracle stand out to me. It happened before my mission--but it is of the greatest value to me. Bear with me as I try to express in words the feelings that I have had as I experienced a very personal miracle. 


I've grown up in the church, and I have always loved it. But there came a time in my life where I had to really change who I was. Going through the motions kept me 'in-line,' but that was about it. You could even say, my purpose was kind of at a stand still. I wasn't off doing all kinds of crazy bad things, but I certainly wasn't always trying my hardest to do what was right. 
I realized though, that I wasn't happy. I wanted to change. And change I did--but one step at a time. As I read the scriptures with more excitement, as I prayed more fervently, as I attended church meetings searching for answers--I began to come to really know who my Savior was. 
Over some time, I began to truly feel I had, "spiritually been born of God" (Alma 5:14). I experienced a great change of heart--I wanted to become a better person and I wanted to live the standards because of the love that I had for the gospel, and for my Savior. I made changes in my life that even lead me to come on my mission, where I help people to have a similar experience.
 I know without a doubt that the Savior of the world, my Older Brother, made those changes possible. Many times I found myself calling on divine help to know the things I need to know, and to become the person I want to become. I can not even begin to put in words the joy that I have felt since I have experienced this change of heart--this miracle of love. Despite weaknesses and failures, Heavenly Father will always reach out to us. I love Christ's beckoning call: "Will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?" (3 Nephi 9:13)

I know that God is our Heavenly Father. I know that He has provided a way for us to be happy in this life and to become the beings that we were divinely designed to become. That way is through coming unto Christ...through doing the simple things He asks us to do. Isn't it a miracle?! I know that it truly is! It is only through divine help that we can experience a ,"mighty change of heart" (Alma 5:14). I am grateful for miracles, and especially for this one--one that has changed the very person that I am. 


 I know that the hand of the Lord is all around us! Sometimes, it's only a matter of seeing with 'spiritual eyes.'


So look around. They're there, I promise you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment